Anthony Davis’ Health is the Biggest X-Factor to This NBA Season
ANTHONY DAVIS’ HEALTH IS THE BIGGEST X-FACTOR IN THE NBA THIS SEASON
Before the season began, the Los Angeles Lakers were overwhelming favorites to repeat as NBA champions thanks to their dynamic duo of LeBron James and Anthony Davis, along with an improved supporting cast that included the additions of C Montrezl Harrell, G Dennis Schroder, and G/F Wes Matthews.
Through over a third of the season, there’s been no reason for that to change as the Lakers have the second-best record in the league and just went on a 7-game winning streak. However, one major cause for concern is the health of Davis, who missed the last two games with Achilles tendinosis and then departed early against the Nuggets after re-aggravating the injury.
The Lakers may be able to stay afloat through the regular season with James carrying the squad, but the postseason is a whole different story. AD’s health is huge for determining the upcoming champion in the NBA.
With the Brow playing at full strength, the Lakers are THE team to beat and will be the Vegas favorites all throughout the postseason. However, if the 27-year-old is unavailable or even 90% as effective as he was in last year’s playoffs, the race becomes WIDE OPEN with an abundance of teams licking their chops at the proposition of an AD-less Lakers squad.
- – The current No.1 seeded Jazz and 76ers would benefit from home-court advantage
- – Giannis is looking to get Milwaukee over the hump with Jrue Holiday alongside him now
- – The Clippers are poised to bounce back from last year’s debacle
- – Denver can never be counted out
- – Boston has the highest potential of making a big move before the deadline
- – Miami is built to make another deep run if they can get back on track
- – Portland is a dark horse contender if CJ and Nurkic are healthy
- – Brooklyn would become the team to beat if AD isn’t there
The NBA has as many legitimate title contenders as it’s ever had but they have all had one thing in their way: a healthy Lakers team. If the reigning champs don’t have their second-best player producing at a near-MVP level, it’s anyone’s for the taking and should make for a very exciting 2021 NBA Postseason as the biggest x-factor in the NBA (AD’s health) is completely up in the air right now.
COLORS KEY | FULL LAKERS FUTURE OUTLOOK
Related: NBA Takeaways of the Day